Monday, December 21, 2009

A Favorite Recipe

I have never posted a recipe here on my blog before but I just had to share this one. It is too good to keep to myself any longer! It's one I found in a recipe book a long time ago when ground turkey was just starting to become popular and a healthier alternative to beef. If you are having to watch your calories and/or salt, you may substitute several of the ingredients listed with low fat and low salt alternatives. I have done so and it in no way takes away from the great flavor. My entire family loves this recipe and I'm sure you will as well.

Turkey Tortilla Casserole
  • Cooking Oil-1 tbsp.
  • Fresh Ground Turkey-1 pkg. (about 1 1/4 lb.)
  • Garlic Salt-1 tsp.
  • Chili Powder-3/4 tsp., divided
  • Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup-1 can (10 3/4 oz.)
  • Taco Sauce-1 bottle (8 oz.)
  • Diced Green Chilies-1 can (4 oz.), drained
  • Sliced Pitted Ripe Olives-1 can (2 1/4 oz.), drained
  • Green Onions-1/2 cup sliced
  • Ground Cumin-1/2 tsp.
  • Corn Tortillas-1 pkg. (8 oz.), cut into 1/2"strips
  • Cheddar and Monterey Jack Cheese-2 cups shredded, each
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease rectangular baking dish, 13x9x2 inches. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Crumble turkey into skillet; stir in garlic salt and 1/4 teaspoon chili powder. Cook until turkey is no longer pink; drain. Mix turkey, soup, taco sauce, chilies, olives, green onions, cumin and remaining chili powder in large bowl. Salt and pepper to taste. Arrange half of the tortilla strips in dish; spread with half of turkey mixture. Top with half each of the cheeses. Repeat layering. Bake uncovered until cheese is melted and mixture is heated through, about 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Garnish with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and sour cream if desired. Makes 6-8 servings unless you have a very hungry husband!

I hope you'll give this recipe a try and let me know what you think about it! I, for one, know it is very yummy and I hope you will think so, too! Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by today!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...