Saturday, January 28, 2012

My Version of a SMASH Book

Using the new Pemberley paper pack from Close To My Heart, I created one of those very popular SMASH books that are all the rage right now. Click on the photo if you'd like to see the entire book.

I chose to hold my book together with binder rings instead of wires so as to be able to add or take away pages if wanted. I am temporarily holding it together with silver rings but will replace them with gold soon as they will match the gold eyelets better, don't you think? And I will add some ribbon to the rings after they are replaced with the gold.

I had tons of fun making it and it actually isn't totally complete but it's a good start. I want to add a couple more envelopes and blank pages yet to the inside. I'm also not sure which front cover design to use. Can you help me decide? I created 2 different ones and may still come up with another one yet but I'm leaning toward the first one shown here. What do you think?

Smash Book
My book has covers made of cardboard (that came in paper packaging) that I cut 7 3/4" x 10 1/4" which I believe is the standard size of the SMASH books by K & Company. I covered them with pattern papers that were cut 8 1/4" x 10 3/4" and glued down on the opposite side then attached another sheet of pattern paper to hide the edges of the inside of the covers. I attached one 4" x 6" Flip Flap to the inside of each of the book covers. These will be for holding scissors, adhesive and small stickers and pieces of paper.

I used 6" x 9" manilla envelopes that I trimmed a scant 1/8" on one long side to create a pocket for the inside after sealing the envelope. I decorated these with pattern papers and cardstock on both sides. I cut a slot in each envelope to easily grab the 5 1/4" x 8 1/2" tag inside. I cut several sheets of 7 1/2" x 10" cardstock for dividers and added some tabs. The sheets of paper for journaling or doodling or just for jotting ideas down  in between the dividers were cut the same size.

I love the new Foundry Binder Clips from Close To My Heart that you will be able to purchase beginning February 1st, as they are just perfect for this project. I used them to hold the sheets of writing paper in between the dividers so as to make it a bit easier to turn the pages without possibly tearing them.

Okay, I've taken enough time away from completing my book so I'll end for now. If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask! Thanks for stopping by today! Have a good one!

~Carol



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...