Tuesday, December 31, 2013

December - the sad month

December has always been a very sad month for my dad's side of the family. With the exception of one of his brothers, every immediate family member has passed away during the month of December. Many times through the years, my dad used to say that if he made it through till January, he'd be alive for another year and he'd be happy!

Well, it is with a heavy heart that I tell you my wonderful 82 year old dad passed away on December 26th after just 5 days in the hospital. We are so saddened as it was very unexpected. He died on the same date that his mother did 20 years ago and he was born on her 18th birthday, the oldest of nine children. How very strange that he was born on her birthday and died on the anniversary of her death. But that's the way things roll in this family.


As sad as I feel right now about the loss of my dad who was such a kind, gentle, loving man who was liked/loved by many, I am thankful he is no longer suffering. Not the type to complain much about anything, we never knew he was suffering so much. He never told us how bad it really was so as not to worry us. That's my dad!

Now Dad is pain-free, enjoying a big bowl of ice cream or a good glass of wine, or maybe both, or possibly even doing some fly-fishing because he loved that so much but hadn't been able to do it for the past several years, listening to his favorite classical music while being reunited with his parents and several siblings and most likely partying like crazy with them. They loved a great party! Party on, Dad! I love you and miss you - until we meet again!

Your loving daughter,
~Carol


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...