I have been quite busy doing outdoor stuff getting the garden(s) ready for flowers & veggies - can't wait for those - plus a lot of bird watching as it is nesting season for our fine-feathered friends and we have a lot of them around us that we enjoy oh so very much! We have a pair of beautiful Bluebirds who are protecting 3 little eggs from those nasty House Sparrows as well as a pair of Tree Swallows who want the box they are in so they can nest themselves. We have other boxes available for the Swallows but for some reason they want the one the Bluebirds are in so it's been quite a show watching the Bluebirds defend their box and being quite successful I must add.
We also have a pair of Chickadees nesting in one of the other boxes. We are so excited about this because we have never had them nest here before. They also have 3 little eggs waiting to hatch. I hope one day soon the Tree Swallows choose where they will nest because they are driving us nuts going from box to box to gourd and back to a box as they try to decide which one they prefer. Just get in there already please!!
And we are, of course, still waiting for the arrival of our first Purple Martin pair. This is our fourth year trying to lure them in and although we did have two different visits from them a couple weeks ago, they haven't been back. They have never visited us this early in the season before either so we are hopeful that's a good sign but it's hard to say as there are no guarantees where these magnificent birds are concerned. They are so picky where they choose to nest - the conditions for them have to be just right - so it's really a crap shoot whether you get them or not. Keeping fingers crossed!
Well, I really didn't mean to talk your ear off about our birds as my intention was to share a new scrapbook layout with you so without further ado here's the layout in all it's beauty!
I had a vision in my head of how I wanted it to look before I even started and I must admit, it turned out pretty darn close to that vision so I am very happy with it. Here's a bit of detail about how it all came together:
- I first spread a layer of white gesso on top of a sheet of white cardstock using an old credit card - it's perfect for achieving a very thin layer - then dried it with my heat gun since I'm a tad bit impatient and didn't want to wait for it to dry on it's own.
- I then slightly watered down some gray acrylic paint then brushed it on top of the dried gesso in vertical lines
- Next I used black acrylic paint to draw some lines and fake nails on the boards to simulate old barn boards such as the ones in the photos.
- Once I was happy with the barn board look, I then stenciled some flowers in various colors of ink along the bottom - no rhyme or reason - just different flowers in various colors that matched the girls' clothing somewhat.
- I decided where I wanted to place my photos then set to work finding embellishments to match. I stayed pretty simple on the embellishments since there was already a lot going on on the background so a couple flower die cuts and some washi tape were perfect and just right for framing the photos.
- The 'Spread your Wings and fly' is a free die cut I got when I took a Studio Calico online class with Wilna Furstenburg, which was totally awesome! I cut the words with my Cricut Explore machine and love how easy it was to do!
- I then added a few metal flowers, black sequins, a strand of sequined ribbon, a bow made with some Pixie Twine from Close to my Heart, which I totally love, a leftover owl button, a couple word strips from Ali Edwards' 'Click' story stamp kit for this month, splattered a bit of black paint here & there while covering the photos with scrap paper so as not to get any paint on them and called it done!
I love how this layout turned out and I hope you do, too! Maybe it has inspired you to create something similar so go for it and please share your finished project with me. I'd love to see it!
Feel free to ask if you have any questions about the products or more details on the techniques I used.
Thanks for stopping by today. Have a great day!